Is my babysitter covered driving my car?

Do your plans this summer include leaving a family vehicle for the babysitter to shuttle the kids to and from camp while you’re at work, or when you head out of town for the weekend? If so, you may have wondered, “Are my children’s caretakers covered by our insurance while driving my car?”, and may be wondering if you need to add your children’s caretaker to your auto insurance policy.

If you have comprehensive auto insurance coverage, it stays with your car, and protects whoever is driving your vehicle. So, no, unless your babysitter will be the only driver of the car for an extended period of time, you do not need to add them to your auto insurance policy. However, in the event of an accident, for them to be fully covered under your policy, your babysitter must have your verbal or written permission to drive your insured vehicle.

For extra safety,if an accident were to happen, it would be a good idea to have provided your sitter with a document authorizing them to drive your vehicle, and to provide them with a copy of your insurance card. Consider keeping these documents in your car’s glove box so they will be on hand if needed.

If your authorized sitter gets into an accident while behind the wheel of your car, your vehicle insurance will be considered their primary insurance coverage for all accident-related claims made. If your sitter has insurance coverage, that will be considered a secondary coverage, activated only if claimed damages exceed the limits of your own policy.

For more questions about vehicle insurance coverage, contact the professionally trained experts at Prutting Insurance Group. For more information about car insurance in Arizona, please contact Prutting Insurance Group today.